Hand modeling is by far the best way to increase the product engagement. It provides people with a realistic impression of what your product will look like when it reaches them, and therefore makes them more likely to consider a purchase. In the beauty or fashion industry, hand modeling is of great importance, and companies are increasingly trying to incorporate it into their marketing campaigns.
To have a successful hand modeling career, you need to know that the fashion industry is tough. Which can be both exciting and financially rewarding. The requirements for such a job are very high, and this fact makes many people reconsider their decision. Hand modeling requires a high level of concentration because the model’s hands must be smooth and esthetically pleasing.
In addition, models must have certain physical characteristics, including clear skin, even skin tone, and well-proportioned hands. Hand models usually need to stay physically fit, as this improves the appearance of their hands. The hand model industry is very competitive, as statistics show. In fact, only 5% of people who apply for hand model jobs have a successful career in this niche.
Despite the many adversities, we’re here to help you maximize your chances of becoming a hand model. Having been in product photography for nearly 20 years, we have learned and understood the best paths to a lucrative hand modeling career. The following article contains some of the most valuable information on how to become a professional hand model – enjoy!
Taking care of your hands
It’s pretty obvious, but to have a successful hand model career, you have to take excellent care of your hands. Many hand models nowadays spend a great deal of time preparing their hands for photo shoots, so here are some tips you can start using today.
- Moisturize: your hands should always look hydrated and soft. This gives the viewer an ideal image of a healthy human hand and makes for an appealing photo. For this reason, you need to use a moisturizer several times a day. Experts in this field recommend using creams with vitamin E at least twice a day, before going to bed and after waking up.
- Cutting nails: nails play a big role in the overall appearance of your hand, and you should take care of them carefully. Nail-biting is a common vice that is strongly related to stress, and as a hand model, you want to avoid it. In addition, applying cuticle oil is key to keeping your hands looking great.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: we all do chores in our daily lives. But as a hand model, you now need to be cautiou when doing simple cleaning chores around the house. Cleaning agents, detergents, and solvents will damage the aesthetics of your hands. Therefore, be sure to wear gloves the next time you want to be productive and clean your home.
- Healthy diet plan: A healthy body means that you’ll also have healthy looking hands. As taking care of your body has become more popular over time, there are a variety of diet plans you can follow. Professional hand models follow a diet plan that includes many fruits, vegetables, lean meats and healthy fats.
Building a hand modeling portfolio
Show your future employers what your hands can do. Building a portfolio for hand modeling has many advantages in this industry, and you can effortlessly start building your own. You do not need any special equipment, just your smartphone to draw attention to yourself.
An important aspect to remember is to photograph your hands from all possible angles. This way, you can be your critic and judge your hand poses. This is a great step in your career as a hand model, as you can get to know your style better and improve your portfolio.
If you are serious about this profession and have a little more money to spend, you can also contact a photographer to take photos of your hands for you. Even though this can be pricier than other alternatives, it will help you a lot in your career as you can now focus entirely on perfecting your hand modeling skills. Besides, working with a professional photographer will prepare you for your future gigs as a hand model.
Once you have some images that you like, it’s time to create a professional looking hand modeling portfolio. There are many ways to do this, but one that always works is to create a website dedicated solely to your previous work. There are many free website builders available on the internet, meaning web design is not a requirement. Ideally, you want to post only the images that best show off your skills, so take some time to select your best hand modeling images.
Expanding your hand modeling network
If you want to become a top hand model, you need to connect with established people in this industry. A strong hand model network is critical to your success, as it can enhance every aspect of your career.
First, you will get support and advice from people who understand your hand modeling problems. It’s difficult to work tirelessly for your dream, and many people get crushed by the enormous demands in the hand modeling landscape. It is vital to have someone to talk to, and if they are in the same industry as you, that is even better.
Not only that, but it also gives you better access to hand modeling opportunities. If you build a quality network of people in your field, you can share information about different gigs. This is an effective way to stay at the top of your game while building trust within your new hand modeling network.
Finally, there’s nothing better in the hand modeling industry than a referral. And who better to vouch for you than your qualified network? You can include testimonials and recommendations on your portfolio website to build visitor confidence.
What did we learn?
Becoming a renowned hand model is not easy because it is difficult to earn a living in the hand model industry. Therefore, you have to put your heart and soul into it and always believe in yourself. To be successful, you always have to take care of yourself, from maintaining a high level of fitness to taking care of your hands and nails in the best possible shape.
Although you may not know exactly what results you will get from this endeavor, it is completely risk-free to try. We recommend that you try some tips presented in this blog, as these are the most important basics that every hand model should know.
If you are keen to know more about the ins and outs of product photography and its implications, we recommend reading our other blog posts – we are sure you’ll find them useful.
Pro Tip: CGI is gaining popularity as an alternative to traditional hand modeling
Did you know that hand modeling can be fully replicated with CGI? Yes, that’s right! Thanks to the advancements of many 3D modeling software, we can now create a realistic sense of familiarity between businesses and their target audience. This is an efficient and cost-effective way to engage with customers while enhancing the features of the product. To achieve this, we customize our existing CGI hand models to fit perfectly any product.
Whether a product requires a soft touch from a female hand or the stronger presence from a male hand, CGI hand modeling is guaranteed to give business owners the best results. First, take a look at the main benefits of using CGI hand modeling photography.
- Faster: traditional hand modeling takes a lot of time because people have to plan and prepare. With CGI, however, everything changes. There is a matter of seconds from the time we get hired to the time we start working.
- Cheaper: CGI hand modeling is a cheaper way to show off a product because we do all the work on the computer. There is no need to deal with the rising prices of hand models and the cost of renting a studio.
- More Convenient: At the end of the day, people want a hand modeling service that fits their budget, is the fastest, and provides a true sense of familiarity with their target market. We can do it!
With this new way to make products come alive, learn more about how you can craft the best hand modeling portfolio.
What exactly is hand modeling?
Hand modeling is a branch of modeling that showcases a model’s hands in the best light possible. Most frequently, it is used alongside products such as jewelry, watches, perfumes, and cosmetics.
How can I create a hand modeling portfolio?
You can create a hand modeling portfolio effortlessly, and you only need a quality smartphone or camera. You can use the images of your hands on a portfolio website, to make you look more professional.
Can hand modeling be replicated by CGI?
Yes, CGI can replicate hand modeling perfectly, as you have more control over the final images. You can even check out our CGI hand modeling page, where you can learn more about it.